Monday, March 25, 2013

Leaning In

I watched an interview with Sheryl Sandberg, the Chief Operating Officer at facebook.  She had some good advice, my favorites include (these are very close paraphases):

1) One of the biggest career decisions you'll make is who your life partner is (should you choose to have one). - -  We should tell little girls that, while spinning tales of happily ever after.  Everyone doesn't want or need a 50-50 partner, but some of us....need it like water. 

2) When the opportunity presents itself, always sit at the table. - - I wish I had this explicit thought before now, but its something I've generally tried to do, and hopefully I'll have many more tables to take a seat at in the future.

3) What would you do if you weren't afraid? - - For one, I'd likely have not only taken a seat at the table, but spoken up more often too.  I'd do most things without so much thought regarding how others MIGHT mis-perceive my intentions.

I think I'll read Sandberg's book when I get a chance.

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

Yep, I went to a conference about a year ago for Black Engineers and one of the tips they gave was: "if there's a table in a conference room, sit at it." Now, being short and near-sighted, I tend to sit at the table anyway just so I can freaking see what's going on but since hearing that little piece of advice I've made a conscious effort to take that chair at the table.