Saturday, October 22, 2011

Science Fiction

It's Fall and new tv shows are in abundance.  One of my favorite genres is Science Fiction.  I could watch sci-fi b-movies all day, as long as they have at least some mystery to them.

One of my favorite authors is Octavia Butler.  She wrote Parable of the Sower, among other novels and what I appreciate most about her work is the central role identity plays.  Most sci-fi movies and novels, don't pay particular attention to how race, class, and gender (to a lesser extent) impact one's experiences.  Butler constructs complex sci-fi narratives that reflect me, and my experiences.  I love it, every futuristic, parallel universe, time traveling, post-apocalyptic hero is not white and male.  I comment on this not because I dislike reading about characters who aren't culturally exactly like me, but because people of color are sometimes hard to find, especially in novels and its nice to not have to search.

Read it if you get the chance.  It took me a while get into it, but once it gets going, you won't want to put it down.  I can't wait to read Parable of the Talents, the next book in the series.

No comments: