Saturday, April 6, 2013

Recollections

And I suppose the reason I love archival work is the fact that we can't remember everything.  I don't even think we should.  Preserving the past has always been about choosing what we and others remember about us.  I suppose that today's events (a Black family meeting) that brought together members of the community to discuss important issues in the community, have affirmed for me how important being intentional about what we remember is. I had been feeling down because not as many people as I expected participated in video project I put together, it was exhausting trying to recruit people, and many people abstained   But in reality, it has accomplished the purpose I set forth.  We'll remember what we remember, and I can go to bed knowing that I did a small part to record the thoughts and reflections of myself and others.

No comments: