Friday, February 3, 2012

To do project #563: the Women's Writing Well

I'd like to start a writing group at the local high school called the Women's Writing Well.  In my imagination the students have  blogs and notebooks.  Personal and public writing spaces.  We would meet twice a week, one day would be a reading day (reading other people's and each other's blogs, reading portions of whatever book we are reading that month as a group), the second a writing day (each month focusing on a different skill or theme).  It'd theoretically be related to/connecting with the curriculum during the day.  The students would produce a quarterly WWW newsletter, maybe even a community blog.  They'd learn how to make clear concise arguments, get practice doing research, making outlines, writing in a judge free zone.  We'd have speakers: journalists, novelists, poets, professors, Communications managers, lots and lots of women who write.  We'd tackle issues of gender, race, class.  It'd be a place for women, especially those who lack confidence as writers to gain inspiration and nourishment from the well, and a space for them to learn to write well.

Much more thought to be given to it, but I think it may go on my upcoming list of 30 things I want to do before I turn 30.  Today is my 29th birthday:-)

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Sounds like a wonderful idea. Go for it. And Happy Birthday.