Monday, September 19, 2011

Operating in Truth

Sometime close to when my husband and I first started dating, we instituted the honesty movement.  It was basically an attempt to avoid even polite lies.  No longer were we to hide our opinions about things (if asked), no longer were we to mask our intentions or tell lies of any sort.  It was a fun, but sometimes hard challenge for a new couple.  Over time a formal honesty movement subsided and became a "remember way back when" story for a couple of six years and counting.  

From time to time I think about that movement.  I consider reinstituting it with everyone I know.  What seems hard is finding the balance between the desire to share my thoughts and opinions about things with the rights of everyone else to not be subject to my every fleeting thought or emotion.  Just because something is true, doesn't mean it must be shared, right?  Our previous movement was an understanding, that both of us entered into valuing honesty above politeness (and other things).  

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what I want to say here because I feel mediated by that conflict.  Will anyone even hear what I have to say if my truth doesn't fit their values or worldview.  Do people care to hear my truth?  

Plainly said, I have a blog because I want to be heard.  My intention is always to be honest, and I've written and re-written posts to that end.  Sometimes I've edited myself though, and my goal is to stop doing that.  I am as complex as God made me and that should be reflected here.  

I updated my blog with a new blogger look, and I plan to blog now (more frequently) with a new attitude, one that is more honest and unafraid.

1 comment:

Shanti Shanna Lìmon said...

I like your blog Tina! I often ponder about whether or not I should speak my truth, be honest. I offer you three short questions I try to ask myself when contemplating the difficulty of truth telling: 1)Is it true? 2)Is it kind? 3)Does it improve the silence?
However, the second question is tricky. Kind in the long run can be very different from the sometimes seemingly harsh impact of truth telling. And I am rambling...but thanks for writing an honest and sincere blog (and for giving me the opportunity to ponder). I hope you three are all well. Hugs.